Monday, December 8, 2008

Baby Don't Hurt me....

What is Love--- Baby don’t hurt me

Luke 10:26-28.....26 what is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" 27He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'[a]; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[b]" 28"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

In the summer of 2007, I had just bought a 2003, burgundy, fully loaded Alero. This car was beautiful, sporty and cheap on gas. On summers day after work I went to Canadian Tire to fill up with gas. While I was at the pump this bruised and battered aboriginal man came up to me and asked for a ride. Looking at his appearance I turned him down and said that I wouldn’t be able to give him a ride. As I went into the gas bar to pay for my gas and get a refreshing drink, I had this overwhelming urge to go back to the man and tell him that I would drive him where he needed to go. I had this peaceful sense that nothing would go wrong and I knew that God was with me right then and there. I asked the man where he needed me to drive him; it just happened that he was headed in the opposite direction than I was presently going. With out saying a word I got in the car and started to drive. I asked him time and time again, where do you want me to drop you off, and continuously he told me “where ever”. I thought this to be strange but continued driving. Conversation soon began and as we talked the topic of what I did sprang up. I explained that I was College Student pursing a degree in youth ministry. That’s when God took over. He had question about question that challenged me and forced me to speak honestly and truthfully about my faith in Christ. I explained how I believed God did not segregate colors of skin, but we in our sinful nature as humans have placed each other in classifications of social standards; further explaining how God see’s each person native, white, black or Latino with the same love and desperation. This mans total body posture changed from the beginning to the end of the conversation. He seemed receptive. When I dropped him off I gave him five dollars and wished him luck. As a tear trickled down his cheek he closed the car door and gently placed his hand on my window. It felt like a cheesy commercial, but I placed my hand on the glass and watched him walk away. As I drove away I got three blocks, and was stopped at a red light pondering what had just happened. Before I knew it I was in a four car pile up. The end car failed to stop ramming into a van throwing it into me, and I was pushed into another vehicle. Sadly three of the four cars were totaled off (including mine). But I was able to go about speaking to those involved with a sense of compassion and love and instant forgiveness. Little did I know, that not only was the conversation a blessing to me, but also the accident. God blessed me with more money from my accident than what I had put into buying my car. I then had enough money to go school in the fall with little to no debt at all. God is good and is In control.

Why we hesitate to love others
1. We are busy
2. We are afraid
3. We are indifferent (its not my problem)
4. Who is my neighbor (try to justify it)

Love is an action
It is a gift
It requires us to give all not just a little bit.
God GAVE His only son… which is the ultimate act of love! (John 3:16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.)


1John 3:16-18
“This is how we know what love is; Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and see’s his brother in need, but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in Him. Dear, children let us not love with words or in tongues but with actions and truth.”

B-

No comments: